seed partly new lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mbrunton, May 10, 2007.

1. mbrunton

mbrunton LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I recently had a landscaper seed my new lawn in the fall. I now have some bare spots and want to spot seed and maybe just completely re-seed. I am not sure on what type of grass seed he used, but I know the bag had John Deere on it. I live NJ.

Can I just get some Scotts seed at home depot? I asked the landscaper to find what type of seed, but he has not called me back yet.

2. mbrunton

mbrunton LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Here's what my grass looks like.. Hope this helps...

IMG_0002a.jpg

IMG_0004a.jpg

3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

There are hundreds of seed varieties, many many seed mixes and blends. If you're trying to match whats in your lawn now, you'll have to get an answer from the contractor who installed it. On the other hand, save yourself a bunch of time and aggravation, buy a good quality bluegrass - rye grass mix and use that. The difference between varieties of a species is so small only a turfgrass expert will be able to find any difference.

4. mbrunton

mbrunton LawnSite Member
    from NJ

thanks for the help... Does home depot or lowes carry any good seed?

5. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

Not really. The Scotts stuff is just so-so and I think the big box stores are EXPENSIVE!

If you can't get in touch with the guy who put the lawn in, I would take a sample of your grass to a good garden/nursery and they may be able to identify it for you and may have it in stock.

If they don't have the same variety in stock... Try summit seed company

http://www.summitseed.com/

BTW... your lawn looks like bluegrass. Smaller barespots (basketball size or less) will fill in quickly with water and fertilizer.

6. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you at in Jersey??I know a good store for seed, if you are in the Atlantic, Cape may county area. You might want to stick to a tall fescue, rye mix.

7. mbrunton

mbrunton LawnSite Member
    from NJ

i am in Northern NJ. Morris county

8. cross1933

cross1933 LawnSite Member

Have you used Summit Seed, I was considering some seed from there. When contacted them they recommended,
    NU LAWN MIX
    Top Quality Lawn, 55% Elite KBG,45% Fine Fescue & Perennial Ryegrass
    30% FORTITUDE Strong Creeping Red Fescue
    20% BOUTIQUE Kentucky Bluegrass,
    20% MIDNIGHT STAR Kentucky Bluegrass
    15% BROOKLAWN Kentucky Bluegrass
    15% PROMISE Perennial Ryegrass

I will be reseeding part of my back yard here in the fall. I will be getting extra to over seed the remainder of the yard.

9. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

I bought from them when I had a bluegrass lawn. They're very professional and excellent to deal with.

I now have a tttf (turf type tall fescue) lawn. Titan limited...

http://www.titanlimited.com/

I bought from Athens seed in Georgia. Good prices, nice people to deal with but their e-commerce site leaves much to be desired.

http://www.athensseed.com/

I'm pretty happy with the Titan Limited. I don't water. Too lazy and really don't mind if the grass is a bit dry 4~6 weeks between July and August. and it seems to hold up well.

...And yes they do spread via rhizomes but it is a bit overhyped. The barespots do fill in but it takes a ong time (an entire season).

10. cross1933

cross1933 LawnSite Member

Which grass do you prefer better, what are the differences? I read you link on the Titan seed, it sounds interesting.