seed pods

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cjcland, Feb 14, 2000.

1. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

somebody told me if i put spacers on my blades to make them closer to the bottom of my deck i wouldnt have as much trouble cutting that tough summer bahia grass, is that true....i am using a 14hp snapper walk behind..or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, i am planning on uprading my mower after this season

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Can't say I've ever heard that one. Where are you mowing at? A sharp blade is the best thing for bahai grass, may need to change them after 4 hrs or so of use. Make sure your deck is pitched properly also.<p>Homer

3. cjcland

i am mowing in central florida, i think i will try changing the blades at lunch this summer right now i am still small, i have 1 mower so that would probly be best, ty

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

cjcland, by chance, is it a 48&quot; deck? I had a 48&quot; Scag that would not cut bahia worth a crap. I have a 54&quot; Bobcat and 36&quot; Exmark that cut it fine. I came to the conclusion the 48&quot; deck is to short (front to rear) to allow the bahia grass to pop back up before it gets cut. I have changed the spacer arrangement on my Exmark to adjust cutting height, but have not noticed it cutting any better or worse.

5. cjcland

it is a 48 inch deck, i worked for a guy who had a 52 inch toro with a 14hp mower and it cut great so i dont hink it was hp, i am looking forward to getting a better mower, not that my snaper has been bad i have only had to replace the clutch in 2 years(except belts and blades but i would really like to have to cut a yard once instead of 2 or 3 times, thanks for your input

6. cjcland

would an extra set of blades on top of the other blades be too much for a 14hp motor?

7. HOMER

I also have a 48&quot; Scag. It has never cut bahai good at all, anything else is fine but not that. I was told by my dealer the longer the blades are, the better it cuts that wire. He may be right, my 72&quot; Chopper doesn't miss any of it. My 50&quot; also does real well so I believe blade tip speed has an awful lot to do with it as well. Scag came out with the bahai deck specifically for that reason I think. I have never talked with anyone that owns one so I can't comment on how they perform.<p>I have not tried to add an extra set of blades to mine yet, the spacer would have to be turned down to get the extra thickness on there. I'm sure that would help and with a wb it might not rob too much hp.<p>Homer

8. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

On my snapper I had to lower the deck and cut bahia at 2.5-3.0 inches only.Change blades after 1 hour of mow time. Remember you are cutting more sand than grass.Tim

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Just a quick question,is bahai that horrible<br>fine wiry grass that never cuts any good?<br>I think we have something similar over here<br>and even brush cutters can't cut it.Our mowers just tear it up.

10. HOMER

YEP! It is a pain in the grass to mow, mulch and get rid of. You can actually buy seed for this stuff. The states plant it on the roadways because of its durability but once the chutes tassle out at the end, the seeds blow everywhere and it continues to spread. I can mow a lawn today and by Thursday the mess is right back up again. If you let it go over 2 weeks it will take you forever to get it chewed up enough to call it cut!<p>Pain in the grass!<p>Homer