Seed results

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, Dec 12, 2011.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Here are some photos of my neighbor's yard where he had a big tree taken out. I offered to seed it if I could do a few tests to see what would work the best.
    Sorry--the upload failed for the earliest--the September 30 photo.

I used Scotts "Classic" which is about 30 percent improved perennial rye. The best 2 foot wide strip was 12 pounds seed per thousand or about 4 times the usual rate, along with double fertilizer. 26-0-6.
    Very dry when seeded, but rains began in early October. Not irrigated.

In the December pic I had seeded over the whole area and fertilized the entire left half of the lawn. The right half was fertilized about 30 days later.

October6.jpg

S35Nov 1911.jpg

2. RigglePLC

And here is the early picture-- a few days after the initial seed (Sept 5) and and after the first rain, late Sept. Site refused to post Sept pic because it had appeared a few weeks ago, here:

Third try; the earliets picture:
    http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=362372

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It still looks pretty anemic, especially after a double dose of fert at planting time. No noticeable improvement from left to right...

What kind of soil is it???

4. RigglePLC

Smallaxe,
    Soil was medium loam, but it was yellow--rather low in organic matter in my opinion. Underlying soil is sandy. Somehow the December pic does not appear. I will try again.

Finally it seems to have uploaded. This is the last picture, December, about the 5th. If you look carefully, I think you can see that the left side, particularly the new grass is darker green.The right side was fertilized 27 days later, Nov 30th. The right half is still rather yellow.

It has about a inch of snow now, but snow is expected to melt in a day or two.

DEc4.jpg

5. Smallaxe

Yes it does show up in this pix...

So, What conclusions have you drawn from your experiment so far? ... :)

6. RigglePLC

With his OK, on Sept 5 I seeded several different treatments on my neighbor's big bare spot after tree was removed and top soil added. Tree company's seeding failed due to no irrigation and hot spell in July. Treatments were numbered in this October photograph:
    0)Seed
    1) Seed, fert, raked
    2) Seed, fert, no rake
    3) 4Xseed, 2X fert, raked
    4) Seed, fert, raked, straw
    5) Seed, no fert, raked
    6) Seed, fert, raked, Razorburn
    7) Seed, fert, raked, packed
    8) 3X seed, fert, no rake
    9) Seed, fert,raked, mulched w crabgrass

Project4.jpg

7. RigglePLC

Smallaxe,
    I think that treatment 3, with 4 times the seed and 2 times the fert recommended was best, followed by treatment 4 which was mulched with straw (grsss clippings, actually). The treatment 2 which was not raked-in was poor. Treatment 6 where the seed was raked and sprayed with Razorburn 24 hours later was worst, but eventually took hold. Razorburn has glyphosate and diquat. Treatments 8, and 9 were difficult to evaluate due to clumps of grass already present.
    Clearly, extra seed results in thick grass sooner. Clearly no raking-in to bury the seed results in poor "take". Mulch is a big help. No fert slows it down.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

With all due respect Riggle, the results of this experiment are anecdotal at best. The reason is because your experimental design is flawed, therefore the results have no statistical validity. Any conclusions you draw from this study are therefore unreliable, even with respect to that location.

Also you said this area was where a big tree used to be. How did they remove the stump? Out here, when stumps are ground down we are left with a mix of soil and wood.

9. Smallaxe

OK, that's a big deal...

Did riggle do the PC thing in putting the test in a labratory stiuation???

Riggle deals with things that we face everyday... The hidden factors tthat are too numerous to mention do not guide Riggle's POV... The main result is NOT in the egghead enivornment of the sterile lab test,,, but in the results of what happens in the lawn... IMHO... if you ain't got nom results to speak clearly and sensibly about,,, then you got nothing to say...

We're growing grass!!! can your lab say the same thing... :laugh:

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic