1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Seed Suggestion in Northern Kentucky

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TurnerLawn&Landscape, Feb 28, 2011.

1. TurnerLawn&Landscape

TurnerLawn&Landscape LawnSite Member

I have a customer that had an addition put on and as a result there is 2000 sq ft area of bare soil (from the contractor) with a light amount of gravel/rocks spread sparingly throughout. Two questions:

1. how worried should i be with the gravel/rocks.....i plan on tilling the area and then adding 1" of shredded topsoil. will the tiny rocks and gravel that are say 4" deep in the soil effect growth?

2. what type of seed or seed mixtures would u recommend? I am zone 3 and the area is a little on the shady side.

any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Kentucky is that shoe-shaped state just south of Ohio, right? It looks to me like you are in Plant Hardiness Zone 6. I found Zone 3 is mostly in Canada--areas that sometimes hit 40 below zero.
    I am not near you, but I am thinking you are in tall fescue country. Perhaps the new variety introduced in 2008, Mustang II, would be a good bet.

It has high resistance the the most important disease: brown patch. Include 10 percent KBG to aid in recovery from thin spots and damage.

3. TurnerLawn&Landscape

TurnerLawn&Landscape LawnSite Member

thanks riggle...you're correct on zone 6 and I think I'm gonna give the mustang 4 a shot
  4. wyoming lawn service

wyoming lawn service LawnSite Member

Finelawn elite, crossfire, or execu-turf tall turf. I would go with a nice tall fescue blend. I live in Cincinnati btw.
  5. bmc1025

bmc1025 LawnSite Senior Member

Another vote for Finelawn Elite. It does well in sunny and shaded areas, although nothing does well in full shade.