Seed suggestions for a midwest lawn (Renovating)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Fenway, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Fenway

Fenway LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'm renovating my lawn in Indianapolis. My house was built about 12 years ago. I believe sod was used in the front and seeded in the back. Despite my best mowing, (sharp blade, high setting) watering, and fertilizing efforts I could never get the lawn to where I wanted. There were patches of all sorts of different varieties. Tall Fescue, Fine Fesuce, KBG etc. In ideal conditions the lawn looked good. In poor conditions like this summer it looked like a mess with the different varieties.

My lawn was sprayed with Prosecutor today. I have access to an aerator and a slit seeder thanks to a father and brother in law in the business who will be advising me. Just looking for a few more opinions here.

I have a friend in my area who has a back yard with tall fescue and I don't think its a mix. It looks fantastic. I've heard this grows fast but that is not a problem for me. What about a 100% Tall Fescue lawn.

I'm not a huge fan of KBG so that is out. I want to buy the best quality seed I can and I have access to a Lesco. My lawn has shade, sun and spots that get hit with severe sun.

Comments appreciated! Thanks!

2. cross1933

cross1933 LawnSite Member

I just re-seeded my backyard with Great Lakes Premium Seed Mix from Lesco. I got a sample from Lesco and grew it in a pot, the Rye grass germinated in 5 day. I tried 4 different grass types and I choose the Lesco brand, more impressed with the color and increased percentage of germination.

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

4. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

I'd go 100% tall fescue use the Avenger or Cross Fire Varieties. I've had success with those and I'm not that far away from you in the CIncinnati area.

5. Fenway

Fenway LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I think I'm going to go with this Tall Fescue blend from the seedsuperstore.com

"SS1000 : This Sod Quality blend of four of the top tall fescue varieties in the most recent national trials is the finest tall fescue blend available anywhere. Contains equal parts Rebel IV, Inferno, Justice, and 2nd Millennium."

$80 for 25 lbs before shipping (ouch)

6. Marcos

For $3.20 a pound you'd better be getting the best! If not, I got an old bridge on the Ohio down here for ya......! You can check by going to ntep.org, and checking the fescue results at the midwest testing site. The PLS 'pure live seed' % of your blend should be approaching at least 90% and the germination % in the mid 90's. Weed seed is self-explanitory. Hindsight's 20/20, but I don't think a retail buyer at the Lesco you mentioned would pay more than $2.25 / pound for Trigold, which is real good blue tag fescue blend. Remember, good seed's important, but not as important as GOOD soil preparation, GOOD seed to soil contact, and GOOD frequent but shallow waterings until it's germinated. (Then later you begin to water less often and more deeply) GOOD Luck!

7. cross1933

cross1933 LawnSite Member

8. Fenway

Fenway LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

The more I think about it I don't think I want to pay $80 for 25 lbs of seed before shipping. I heard Padre from Lesco was a good TTTF but my area store doesn't have any. Suggestions?

9. Marcos

When renovating, it is always wise to use a BLEND of at least three of the grass varieties that you're trying to establish, and then to have a touch (10% or so) of perennial rye included if the ground is heavily sloped, and / or is so barren that erosion could be a problem before the majority % fescues have a chance to 'pop' ( landscaper language for 'germinate'). Why use more than one fescue? There's STRENGTH in numbers in terms of turf durability, particularly disease resistance. Again, with all due respect, you may be splitting hairs too much about seed types. I think you'll be looking fine with either Lesco's Transition Blend, Trigold (go for this if they have it!), or Compact Blend if you need all fescues. Use Team Mates if you need fescue and a little p. rye.

10. Fenway

Fenway LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'm going with Trigold. The Lesco in my area carries this so I'll let you know what happens. Thanks