seed type around feedlot lagoon?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by myyaz33, May 9, 2008.

1. myyaz33

myyaz33 LawnSite Member

Could anyone input on some recommendations for seed type around the lagoons at a cattle feedlot? Need shallow root system, tolerant to heat disease, low growing, low maintenace. Located in Nebraska.

Kentucky 31 tall fescue?
    etc...?

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

You definitely need something that isn't artificially enhanced with endophytes.

Read on :

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/newsarch/2007/Nov07/endophytes.html

If you're thinking fescue, KY 31 and / or Fawn will probably work.
    (But I'd double-check with the direct suppliers 1st...to make sure they didn't "alter" anything about the seed !!!)

:waving:

3. myyaz33

myyaz33 LawnSite Member

FYI- The grass won't be used for grazing.

4. Marcos

Oops...sorry! :waving:
    You threw me a curve ball there !

KY 31 fescue wouldn't go down in my book as a grass variety that is either "low growing" OR "shallow rooted", but you and I could be speaking in "relative" terms to each other's experiences.

How does ky bluegrass tolerate Nebraska summers ?

5. myyaz33

myyaz33 LawnSite Member

I think it does pretty well, if watered.

6. Marcos

Well then, that wouldn't meet your "low maintenance" stipulation...

...unless you wanted to keep the aesthetics expectation "bar" pretty low by not loading down the bluegrass down with really HIGH "N" quick-release ferts in the future.

If THAT's the case...you're probably good to go with something like a 80% ky bluegrass / 20% annual or perennial rye mix.

( The rye is in there to act as a "nurse grass", and to help prevent soil erosion. Over time it will fade away to a large extent as the bluegrass' rhizomes begin to dominate the turf area. Like the name implies, annual rye will die completely within the first season..but it's definitely "uglier" than p. rye.)
    :waving: