Seed Varieties Discussion - Cool Season Grasses

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hamons, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting ready --as I'm sure many of you are -- to begin seeding a lot of lawns this fall.

I was doing some research on seed varieties and wanted to get the opinions of experts here. I think starting a thread to discuss seed varieties would be beneficial to all of us.

What types have you used and been successful with.

We'll look at Kentucky Blue, Tall Fescue, Creeping Fescue and blends.

Make sure that all posts include the region you are from. USDA zone would be nice.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ive always had good luck with the tri-rye mixtures. Over time, I am able to keep the ryes better looking than Blue. sod. I know some say rye wont stand up to heat, but Im not sure if they have new blends out, but these lawns always look the best. It is what I used on my own lawn. Im in southern CT.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Try Rye's are great and with the Endophyte enhancement. I start a lawn from seed with it, add in blends as we go along.

Seeding into our established lawns. I use an athletic type mix for kids and watering problems, does OK in shaded areas.

Oh......speaking of shade. Years ago AGWAY had try blend of Fescue that was phenominal in shade/dense shade. Can't find anything like it anywhere.

Regular lawns I use a Rye/Blue blend or a Rye/Blue/Fescue. A more Fescue blend for shaded areas.

4. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

I try to sell all my new lawn installs on it. SO much nicer than Blue around here. Doesn't go off color as much when dormant. Much deeper root system spells better drought resistance. Sprouts MUCH faster and better. Doesn't develop thatch (that I've seen yet). Does well shade or sun with no different varietys.
    I love it.:blob2:

5. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody have experience with Grande Tall Fescue from Seed Research. My supplier is really excited about its rhizatomous qualities--- he says all the benefits of blue with all the benefits of fescue.

Right nopw I'm thinking of using A combination of Turf-type Tall Fescue and Perennial Ryegrass TTTF: SR8200, SR8210, SR8250, SR8300, SR8500, SR8600 and Grande -- Perennial Ryegrass: Omni, Penguin or one of the elite SR varieties.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeff opens a BIG can of worms. (But an interesting topic, Jeff.) We will each have some bias toward some types that we have had success with. But what is successful for me here may be useless for you in the same climate 2 states away. For example, Mike B is less than 100 miles ESE of me, and he loves TTTF. Here in South Bend, nothing beats a KBG lawn.

Your choice must be driven by your own soils and particular environment. Experience and good advisors, familiar with seed types and your environment, will benefit you the most.

For anyone wanting to check on a variety for his area, the National Turfgrass Evaluation Program (ntep.org) tests and reports on most all grass types, both cool and warm season. These are test plots an numerous land grant universities. You can compare results from many varieties.

For Jeff, Grande II TF is listed in 2001 National Tall Fescue Test. And the planting at Wichita is not very highly rated on quality, compared to the mean results.

7. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

to clarify. Nothing does beat a FULLY MAINTAINED KBG lawn. Problem is, not alot of folks willing to do what it takes to keep it nice. And if they do then you DO have the thatch problem.
    As a minimalist (lawn care wise), I love TTTF for it's performance under no/low irrigation. Low fertilizer requirements, etc.
    It can look VERY nice, but never as good as a perfect KBG lawn.
    But for all the tradeoffs..........................TTTF for me :)

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here Central IL per rye is just something you mix with blues to get some cover in 10 days. Grey leaf spot has devistated a lot of the ryes around here. They also suck in the heat. But the color can beat some blues in the spring. I have been wanting to try some of the dark blues like moonlight for my front. I just haven't been able to step up to the $200 a bag plate yet. I would like to see more TTTF lawns. Something to mow in August.

9. FOLLOW GROUNDKPRS advice

10. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

OK, Ill be the thread -----.....what is TTTF????