1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Seed vs Sod

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by clbonesteel, Apr 30, 2006.

1. clbonesteel

clbonesteel LawnSite Member

We are currently building a home, completion date will be the end of June, 20 minutes south of Chicago, IL. I would like some information on seeding our property. The area that is needed to be seeded will be approx. 1/2 acre. The land will have 4in of top soil and is pretty much at the same level from back yard to front. We will be putting in the irragition system ourselves prior to seeding. What are the different types of seeding applications available and recommended? Thank you to any responses.
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Make if 8 inches of tops oil. It will make for a much better lawn in the long run. That 4" will compact odwn to 2" or 3", and your roots will never be longer than that. The deeper the roots, the healthier the lawn. As far as sod vs seed goes, depends on your budget. Seed is cheaper, but takes a full year before the lawn is at 90-100%. Sod still requires maintenance, and will not always be the "instant lush lawn" that they advertise. It MUST be watered regularly, and any lawn will need regualr, proper maintenance.
    Have your soil tested also to determine pH and fertility and amend accodingly.
  3. clbonesteel

clbonesteel LawnSite Member

Thank you very much for responding to my post. The information you gave is truly helpful. I will make sure to have the soil tested along with get additional soil.