Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 1999frontier, Nov 13, 2007.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

My dad wants to put some type of winter grass out this year. This will be the first time, but he has centipede now. My question is, is it ok to try putting out winter grass on top of centipede or should I or we not bother. Also, being in North Carolina what time of see would you buy? Please help we want to do it sometime this week before it gets too late.
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I put out winter rye every year. here in texas it gets too hot for prenual...

and yes it's ok.... the proper way to do it is to scalp, then sew your seed. and the key is to water water and water, untill its up then your ok.

dont water so much that it runs off, ya just wanna keep it damp, " the seads that is" if ya can water every two to 3 hrs. just for a like 3 to 5 minutes.

the winter rye should be up in about 3 to 4 days,

Good luck
  3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you mean when you refer to scalping?
  4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

they don't actually mean scalping in the literal sense, The primary growth in a grass plant starts from a ground level point known as the crown. By mowing at a height just ever so slightly above the crown you ensure the plants survival. it increases o2 levels at the crown and allows for more light and nutrients and strengthens the grass plant to a host of fungus's
  5. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

so for example, you would cut on .5 or 1 inch heights and would practically see the dirt?