seeded and barely anythign coming up

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnInOrder, Apr 23, 2006.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

i seeded about a 6X6 foot area that was completely bare. The dirt was packed down so I drop off some topsoil on top about 1/2" layer, I put down the seed, and then put down some "petemoss"(spelling) to keep it moist. I fertilized the lawn with my normal fert that i use in the beginning of the season. I will get pictures soon. I wanted to know what did i do wrong or what can i do for it to grow faster. It has been about 2 weeks and there is barely any growth. Thanks LawnInOrder

2. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Depends on seed used, soil temps and how damp seed bed is kept. It has been dry here in NJ so a light frequent watering is needed. Rye comes up quick-Bluegrass takes longer to germinate. After this rain you should see growth.-keep it wet.
    Harry

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's been pretty dry here as well... I aerated and seeded my whole lawn around mid-march and some of it is up now but some still hasn't come up, has a lot to do with the lack of rain thou this last shower we got was nice - stuff sprouted overnight after I been waiting and waiting and waiting, lol.

4. LawnInOrder

it has been wet lately and the customer waters. I think the seed I used was bluegrass. I might try rye grass next time. What do you prefer bluegrass or rye? Thanks LawnInOrder

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ground temp is not high enough...I am experiencing the same thing on over 20 lawns that we aerated and seeded this year already...give it time.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what is, "your normal fertilizer" that u stated you used?

7. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

Hasn't been that warm yet here in NJ....You should see it kick in sometime in May....The 2 inches of rain we are getting this weekend surely will help.

8. LawnInOrder

Rodfather, what is a good ground temp when the lawns start to grow?

Bobbygedd, i use 13-25-12 and all the lawns i fert are green. Should I have used a starter/ turf builder fert for that bare spot? Thanks LawnInOrder

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

straight fert? brand name?

10. LawnInOrder

what do you mean by straight fert? The fert is used comes from a local company "Vigleittes" that all the local landscapers use. It worked well on all my accounts. It greened up the lawn and are making them grow like crazy. Thanks LawnInOrder