1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

seeded and barely anythign coming up

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnInOrder, Apr 23, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For ground temps I'd say 70-80 degrees, really the closer to 80 the better but not much hotter or it's too hot lol.

As for fert, I'd say that 13-25-12 with that high middle number is good, I went with regular 10-10-10 on mine and it worked. Around here we consider most anything with a high middle number to be a starter fert. If they contain a weedkiller they should be under weed-and-feed, also if you told the guy you bought it from what it was being used for and this is what he sold you, I'd say you're in good hands.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what i'm saying is most "fertilizers" used at this time of year, contain a pre emergent, was that the case here?

3. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

Where would it say if it is pre emergent. I looked on the bag, and it doesn't say anything about it. I would guess it doesn;t have it but i will call the company on Monday and see if they have it in the fert. Thanks LawnInOrder

4. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I was thinking.

Also, if you used KBG, it normally takes 21-28 days to germinate.

kc

5. K.Carothers

If it doesn't say it on the bag then it was just fertilizer.

kc

6. LawnInOrder

sorry if i am askign dumb questions but i am 16 and don't know everything liek some of you guys lol. One day i will.

What is KBG? also what is a pre emergent?
    Thanks LawnInOrder

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if not, then your scene is as follows: the type of seed determines germ time. was anything applied prior to your visit by someone else? did u have pre em on your shoes from walking on a different property? did one of the neighbors apply anything to thier yard that may have drifted? was the seed stored in the same room as a pre-em or hebicide? it could be anything. todays pesticides are strong, and lighter than air. it could have easily been contaminated by a neighbor or your own shoes.

8. K.Carothers

That's how we all learn here.

KBG - Kentucky Blue Grass

Pre-emergant is applied to kill the seed(dimension) before it germinates.

kc

9. LawnInOrder

I don;t know if anything was applied before to that house or to one of the neighbors. The houses i cut are close together nothing more than 2500 square feet tops. My next question is how should i go about fixing the problem. Is there a fert and seed you recommend. I saw an account that a landscaper did and the seed in one of the bare spots is coming up nicely. He did it about 2-3 weeks ago. Other spots that were bare aren't coming up as nicely. Thanks LawnInOrder

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

even if there was no pre emergent is it possible that the fert could have burned the new seed?