seeded in fall now grass is dead

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TOTALLAWN OF KY, Mar 30, 2005.

1. TOTALLAWN OF KY

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

last fall i overseeded with a fescue /bluegrass/blend .We had alot of snow now i have a bunch of dead patches like the pic ??is that from snow mold ??
    the grass came in nice and i cut it at least 8 times and hit it with fall fert
    can you tell by the pics what this might be from? [ATTACH=full]35216[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]35217[/ATTACH]

2. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

It looks, to me, that your soil is not very well drained. I'd take a sample of the dying, or dead, grass and senf it to your state's agricultural extension service for an explanation as to what killed it.

My .02

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Pictures often can't show the whole story. Is the matted grass greasy feeling? When did you fertilize? i.e., was the grass still growing when you applied the last fert, or had it quit growing (quit leaf growth)? What was the formulation of the fert? And how many pounds of N per thousand went on in that last app?

And is the whole plant dead? Get down and see if crowns are still alive, are new leaves starting to grow? Are the roots also dead in the large matted patches?

4. TOTALLAWN OF KY

well the grass was actively growing when i applied 1lb nit per 1000 of 46-0-0
    the dead grass does not feel greasy and the grass patches pull right up no roots?? are you thinking i over ferted maybe?? like i said it looked great nice and thick then Dec we had alot of snow now its dead ?? and there was a moisture problem we had lots of rain oct - dec

5. TOTALLAWN OF KY

what about winterkill?? grass was still activly growing then we got 2 inch of ice 6 inch iof snow ??grass was not hardened???

6. KY GRASSLANDS

KY GRASSLANDS LawnSite Member

46-0-0 urea you used ?

7. TOTALLAWN OF KY

yes urea? i do all fall ferts with urea/ here is another pic

pine straw 021.jpg

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

You probably set up an ideal environment for snow mold. Fertilizing that heavily in late fall is never recommended in my cool season area. ½# N is more appropriate, and plain urea just boosts leaf growth. For the lats fall app, I use a fertilizer high in K to enhance winter hardiness, especially in disease resistance. And even that has to be applied after leaf growth ceases. If you apply before leaf growth ceases, especially using straight urea, you are causing very succulent leaves to enter winter. And that is an ideal environment for snow mold.

In my area, snow mold is not generally fatal. I've only seen spotty fatal PSN (Pink Snow Mold) activity, and that was generally in early spring.

Since you seem to not have much understanding of turfgrass, it would be best for you to find some local knowledgeable person to help. And plan on paying a little. Real education costs, but will pay off down the road.

9. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

It looks like you have a couple of issues. It appears in the linked pictures there is a touch of pink snow mold and also a drainage issue. Is that a clay soil you are dealing with? How is the compaction?
    The snow mold can be linked to both mother nature and your fall fert selection. High amounts of nitrogen in the fall will promote snow mold and provide little to no benefit to the root structure. Are you using urea simply because that's what you are accustomed to? If you do a soil test you may be surprised to find a signficant lack of potassium. I have found that a lot around here so now the fall app is usually a 2-1-2 ratio or even a 1-0-3 ratio.

10. TOTALLAWN OF KY

Well ..the U OF K Ag dept recommends starting in Sept to apply 3 apps of n at 1lb per 1000 in the fall .it has been a common practice i have done for years .up until this point i have never had this type of problem.i am leaning toward winter-kill at the moment. possibly snow mold as well. my lawns have always done very well and the nit helps store carbs for the summer stress here in my area .i do agree with you on the education .i thrive on the knowledge about my trade ,,but i haven't seen this before and i am seeing a little more on lawns , and newly seeded lawns from last fall.we hade 50 to 60 temps right up till that freak snow in Dec ..