1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

seeding 2.5 acres with rye grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lacebark Boy, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Lacebark Boy

Lacebark Boy LawnSite Member

I just landed a job seeding 2.5 acres with rye grasss. My question is what is the best way to prepare the soil for the seeding? This area was just bulldozed clean and was a overgrown forest. It is fairly smooth but will need some cleaning up with my tractor mounted landscape rake. I am hoping the landscape rake will leave furrows that the seed will fall into and hopefully I can use my drag mat to cover up the seeds. Please share your experience. Thanks -Lacebark Boy

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

If you don't mind me asking, and Just out of curiosity, how much are you doing the job for?
  3. Lacebark Boy

Lacebark Boy LawnSite Member

I quoted him 1,750.00.
  4. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Hi LB,
    I'm fairly new to this business but have seeded quite a few yards in the fall with winter rye over the years.If you're working with bare ground(as opposed to a well-established but dormant lawn) I've found that it takes lots and lots of seed in order to get a really nice result.One problem,especially if the property is sloped,is that the seeds wash away following a heavy rain so you're absolutely right about furrowing the ground to help prevent this.Despite your best efforts,though,there probably will be some initial bare spots so you'll probably have to put out more seed after 2 or 3 weeks.As I'm sure you know,you only get one little strand of grass for every seed that germinates;there's no lateral growth or filling in with this type of grass.One thing that really helped to increase the germination rate on the properties I seeded was MiracleGro,the kind that you hook up to a water hose.I would apply this to the entire lawn several after seeding it.I don't know how practical this would be for 2 1/2 acres,though.
    I would definitely recommend that you base your fee on how much seed is required.Alot of it depends on how good the owner wants it to look.If he or she wants it really dense with no bare spots you'll need alot of seed.Good luck! Jim
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I think you answered your own question. What you propose to do would be the best way of going about doing it. If you feel you have the time and have roller. You can roll the seed. Increase your rate of seed. Apply a stater fertilizer.

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

glan how do u become a member's participant?