Seeding a berm thats a 3 to 1 slope

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Deputy_Swan, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Deputy_Swan

Deputy_Swan LawnSite Member

Hello, I got a bid/contract I am working on planting 130 acres of natural grass seed with a seeder, I plan on using a 45 horse compact utility tractor, with a 8 or 9 foot 3pt seeder. I am going to install wheel weights and put fluid in tires for added traction. It will all mostly be at a 3 to 1 slope or less, on back side of a earth dike that is being used to hold back water, after that I am installed straw errison blanket on top of it.

Any advice would be helpful. anybody planted at this slope? I wanted to hydroseed it all but it would cost them to much they said.

Thanks!
    :usflag:

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

what exactly is your question?

3. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Any one else think that 100 acres of erosion blanket would be much more expensive than hydro seeding?

4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

My calculation is quite a bit more.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe, but you'll get better erosion control with the blanket over hydro seeding.

I wouldn't take any chances on a hydro seeding in this situation, especially because it's a levy.

6. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

for 2 acres i could see this helping, but 100 acres?? control the situation with basic erosion control techniques and do a regular maintenance contract to fix the run off.

7. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I agree that at that size hydroseeding should be cheaper than blankets. A good tackifier mixed in should handle the slope.

8. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

A job that size you should be able to find someone to hydroseed it for around 4 to 4.5 cents per foot which is going to be way cheaper than any other way and with a good tackifer it should hold fine even being a levy. I hydroseed banks a lot steeper than that without a problem.

9. johnwright238

johnwright238 LawnSite Member