seeding & aereating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rsw, Jul 26, 2003.

1. rsw

rsw LawnSite Member

I AM NEW TO THIS BUT I COULD USE SOME HELP. LADY HAS A NEW LAWN ABOUT 6 MONTHS OLD, SOME GRASS SOME WEEDS, SHE WANTS US TO AEREATE AND SPREAD NEW SEED WHICH SHE WILL SUPPLY AREA IS 42,000 SQ. FT. WHAT DO MOST COMPANIES CHARGE AND HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE WITH A SPREADER AND 22 HP LAWN TRACTOR. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I ALSO HAVE A CUSTOMER THAT WANTS A 10 X 100 AREA CLEANED WEEDS ARE 6 FT. HIGH

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

First off i wouldnt even think about aerating and seeding until late august, early september. Anything you do now will not live, if it comes up at all. Hard to tell you what to charge, i dont have a set fee for aerating and seeding.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Is she going to supply enough seed?

Better that you supply the seed. Buy more than you need, do that first. You may have extra and use that on your other accounts.

Price? maybe in the area of $700 - $900

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, best time to renovate a lawn is late summer, early fall

5. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

If a customer says they have their own seed, it usually means it has been sitting in their garage for the past couple of years and they want to get rid of it. As a contractor, you should be able to get it cheaper than they can.

6. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I would definitly supply the seed. Its cheap and you can make sure you have enough and you can pick a good quality seed that has a low weed content. Have you taken any soil samples? What type of spreader? Have you calibrated it? Are you going to slit-seed or use a de-thatcher? These questions answered might better help us help you.

And by the way since your new to this, turn off your caps. It makes every one on here think your shouting.

;)

7. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Spoke with my Lesco guy the other day just to see if he knew what some of the other lco's were charging to aereate and overseed in my area $65.00 dollars a thousand. :)

8. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Aereate, seed, starter fert, 60.00 per thousand is what i usually charge, like everyone is saying wait untill the fall, Id also use my own seed, youll make a nice chunck of dollars on this one......Marks Mowing Service

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Almost 3 grand to aerate and overseed an acre??? You're talking at the most $400 for the seed. $2500 to aerate then and broadcast? I missed something somewhere.

I may have been born at night...but it wasn't last night.

10. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

I agree rodfather. That seems a little steep.I charge for over seeding $25/1000 plus 65 service charge (more on service charge for anything over 8,000sqft). I may be a little low but I'm still making money on it and I just started. I also agree don't seed till september at least in my area. And always use your own seed or tell them there is no warrenty on the work if they supply the seed. and if it needs to be reseeded that the same charges apply. I usually include a spot seed in the spring for areas that didn't come in as well.