seeding after its to late

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Oct 12, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

talked to a guy that seeds from aug to first week in oct.
    then takes a 4-4.5 week break then starts to seed again (around thanksgiving) after the lawn maint co. are done with there leaves. he core aerates then over seeds and claims that he will get good results in the spring. he said that they call it " honey cone seedind "

you guys ever herd this? will it work?
    i an looking to extend my season,i am not ready to start shutting down.
    anthony
    new jersey

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

It's called winter or dormant seeding, if weather stays cold seed won't germinate untill spring. We do this on some parks.

3. Rodney Anderson

Rodney Anderson LawnSite Member

SEEDING LATE IN FALL OR WINTER IS A GOOD PRACTICE. JUST AS A WEED SEED LIES IN THE SOIL AND WILL GERMINATE WHEN THE SOIL AND AIR TEMPS RISE IN THE SPRING. IT REALLY WORKS. THE DOWN FALL OF THIS PROCEDURE IS THAT IF A PRE-EMERGENT IS APPLIED EARLY IN THE SPRING THE SEED HAS AGOOD CHANCE OF NEVER MAKING IT. APPLING A ALL PURPOSE OR SEED STARTER FERTILIZER IN EARLY SPRING SHOULD BE DONE. APPLING DEMENSION OR PRE-M LATER IN THE SPRING IS THE BEST BET.
    APPLING TUPERSAN IS ALSO A GOOD CHOICE BECAUSE IT WILL NOT
    PREVENT THE GRASS SEED FROM GERMINATING BUT WILL CONTROL GRABGRASS. THIS PRODUCT IS QUITE PRICEY.

4. powerreel

powerreel Banned

What if your soil gets cold and hard and doesn't heal up all winter? Would you want a muddy aerated overseeded looking lawn all winter long, would your customers? Aerate only in early fall, take it from me- I have learned the hard way!

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for phe replys
    anthony

6. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I did this to my own lawn last year. I had some seed left over, and aerated the devil out of it, and seeded. It looked pretty bad most of the winter. The plugs took a long time to decompose. It was worth it, come late spring, it was the nicest it ever looked.

7. jettabug

jettabug LawnSite Member

I'm from NH and have plenty of slice seeding to do but I am a little concerned that it is to late. I understand about seeding in winter, but how late should I wait to do it, and is the application rate the same as if I were to have done it in early fall? or should I up the rate to account for a loss of germination. The weather here is so unperdictable.
    I quess wait as late as possible?

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Why would this be a good practice?
    Would placing seed in early fall not be better?
    Why have grass seed germinating with weed seed at the same time in the spring?
    Why not just aerate and seed in the spring then? (don't recommend)

The problem with late seeding is that the seed germinates in the spring, is late maturing, and when faced with drought the immature grass is much less tolerate of drought. Seed placed in early fall has the chance to become established prior to winter, thus giving it a much larger head start in the spring.

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand why this would be a good practice.

Ray

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 10-15-2000 at 05:16 AM]