Seeding after pre-emergent

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Bob E, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Bob E

Bob E LawnSite Member

I now have a company that comes by and puts down pre-emgergent twice a year and fertilizes throught the year. I think the total is 5 or 6 times.

Thay have already been here once this year.

My question is that I have a couple of places I need to spread seed in. If I break up the surface soil a little bit and sow seed will the pre-emegernt stop the seed from germinating? Or does the pre-emergent create a blanket on the soil surface and by tilling the area I will sow will that allow the seed to germinate?

I will be spreading a blend of fescues mixed with some bluegrass.

2. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

I'm no expert, but I've always been told you cannot get seed to germinate after applying pre-emergent for 90 days.

3. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

The fescues will have a better chance because they are a bigger seed.
    Do a all fescue mix and be sure to scruff up the surface to break the barrier.
    Still have to redo/overseed it in the fall I bet

4. hvychev77

hvychev77 LawnSite Member

i'd wait at least 4 mowing before even attempting it!

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the amount of preemergent applied, seed germination will not occur for at least 90 days afterward, maybe longer.

However, if you till the soil to about 4 inches depth, you will basically eliminate the preemergent barrier. Otherwise, wait until Fall.

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Break up the soil where you plan to reseed and then water heavily for several days before applying the seed. Applying a humate product will help some since it tends to attach itself to the chemicals holding them and reducing their effectiveness.