Seeding after pre-emergent

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Cutteroutdoor, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Cutteroutdoor

Cutteroutdoor LawnSite Member

A customer wants to seed some bare spots of their fescue lawn but they put out a pre emergent. If I bring in some top soil and turn it up with the existing soil a couple months after treatment will the pre emergent still greatly stagger the growth?

2. OUTLANDER

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

good question...same kinda situation here in ohio. We had a terrible growing season, drought which resulted in alot of weeds taking over where irrigation wasnt available. So this season we simply have to pre emerg early, as well as treat weed problems where grass was weakened.....so what is the answer for these customers who want to see overseeded lawns or spot repair?

3. OUTLANDER

sorry to come in your thread without an answer, but im searching this also:waving:

4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

+2
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

+3

There's only a few pre-emergents you can use and still overseed after the application but they're pricey and I have a few people that want to over seed but already put out a pre-emergent themselves without consulting with me about it.

6. daniel1132

daniel1132 LawnSite Member

+4. Got a customer who decided to tell me they wanted reseeding AFTER the pre-emergent was applied.

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

If these are full lawns your over seeding wait six weeks from that app if it spot seeding in small areas scratch up the surface add a little topsoil and you will be fine
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. OUTLANDER

thanks man

9. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

Ohio State had a report on this sometime within the past couple years. If you do a search you might be able to find it. I don't remember the exact wording on their results. I'm on my phone posting or I would try to find it.

10. Slimreynolds

Slimreynolds LawnSite Member

I had a customer have me put Preen in 3 of his garden beds. Then changed his mind and wanted to plant wildflower seeds after a week!