seeding after spraying

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drew Gemma, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple of times I have been told that you can spread grass seed right after you have sprayed Round-Up on existing turf. I was wonder if anyone has done this method and what the turn out was. Did it work and what must I do to make it work.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

nope, won't work that I know of. Should at least wait a minimum of 2 weeks

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Or more like 30 days minimum.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

ya, a lot of times its 4-6 weeks, but I have had results in 2 weeks in some occasions

5. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

In Fact, you can spray "Round - Up" right before seeding. Glycophosphate is not active in soil but is systemic in nature. As long as your seed does not germinate while the Round Up is present it will not harm the seeding process. Seed takes a minimum of 7 days usually and that round up is long gone by then............ I have done this many times and I also have used "drive" on a number of times in similar fashion. Just don't try it with most your broadleaf weed products as they have a longer lasting residual.

6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

i believe somewhere it says 7 days after spraying but I think it can be done sooner.
    Another view of this is in the farming world. Corn is a grass. When we no-till corn we spray it while planting all with one machine. The spray nozzles are mounted on the planter. One pass does it all and never had a problem with germination.

7. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

2 days for Roundup and 3 weeks for 3 way. I use Ryegrass which germinates quickly maybe thats why waiting 2 days instead of same time works better.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We wait 3-5 days max using 3% conc., and have never had any problems. It is a translocation uptake product, and is not viable in the soil alone.

9. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

My LESCO dealer told me a few months ago that this was true. He said not to worry and put the seed down.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search on this, as this topic was brought up not too long ago. The point is that seed can be planted right after, or even along with R-up application.