seeding and methoarsenate (crabgrass)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by basic lawn, May 16, 2003.

1. basic lawn

basic lawn LawnSite Member
    from nj

My neighbor tried to control weeds prior to seeding... even though she hates "chemicals" she erroneously chose a compound with arsenic to do this (ortho crabgrass control).
    I recommended glyphosate.

Can she still use glyphosate and seed???

2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Any idea what the label on the ortho crabgrass control says about waiting prior to reseeding? What about the Roundup or other glyphoste control herbicide label with respect to reseeding?

EG

3. Roundup is several days, but REaD YOUR LABEL, who knows about other chemical. Check label if possible, but I would guess at least two to three weeks at a minimum

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've had success in reseeding Ky. Bluegrass, ryegrass, fescues, and several different varieties of bentgrass, 8 days after applying glyphosate. Glyphosate is broken down quickly in the soil after application.

Mike

5. basic lawn

basic lawn LawnSite Member
    from nj

Yes, I have same results with Glyphosate. I was wondering as to the Crabgrass control.. methoarsenate.

As an aside, I believe that Glyphosate is perhaps not as toxic as some of the other weed control compounds we normally use. First it works by affecting a pathway that plants have but that humans do not (it is an enzyme inhibitor). It is an amino acid (glycine) with a phosphoryl group (for those chemists out there)
    Eventually degraded by microorganisms in the soil. It does not contain metals such as arsenic. etc.

6. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

seeding issues.

I talked to the rep from Monsanto ( roundup ). Ok to apply early morning and come back that afternoon to seed. The product works very quickly but you don't see results for several days. The label states to wait several days, but that is C.Y.A.

Drive herbicide: you can seed and apply at the same time. Very effective on crab and a few broadleafs. Great for athletic field seeding.

Msma: methoarsenate Label says to avoid treatment on a new lawn until at least three mowings. Can't find anything about
    doing at the time of seeding.

7. mr.lawnzap

mr.lawnzap LawnSite Member
    from tulsa

glyophosphate disperses when it hits the soil and will not affect the seed. msma is very toxic as it contains arsenic that can not be good for anything living much less seed.