seeding and overseeding rates

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by trying 2b organic, Sep 14, 2004.

1. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I did a search but didnt get that much. Seed is really expensive, I pay 2 dollars a pound for the best available. This is in 50 lb bags from the supplier im not going to the nursery and buying small bags. 3 quick questions

1) what rate (lbs per k) for seeding a new lawn and overseeding?

2) Would you ever overseed an existing lawn with no other prep?

2) Is the reason I cant rent of buy a slit seeder here because we use almost exclusivly P. ryegrass which does not spread like kentucky bluegrass and therefore the rows it leaves wouldn't "fill in" and would therfore look dumb?

Before you answer to quickly on number 2 a turf mag recently published a study showing results from straight overseeding with no effort on seed to soil contact prep work. Also I believe golf courses sometimes overseed without aerating or dethathing or slit seeding.

2. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

heres the rates I use for Per. Rye new lawn=4-6lbs/1000, 50% coverage=3-5lbs/1000, 75%coverage=2-4lbs/1000

As far as prep and your third point they kinda run together. I almost always cut the rates in half and go two different directions to help alleviate the corn row look. Even better is to aerate then slit in two directions, i am currently doing this all day every day and its up and kicking in 5- 7 days with a little kick of fert when done. I have had decent results just slitting but always better with the aeration as a prep.

3. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

why so much $ for seed? we are at $1.00/lb just bought a pallat today.