Seeding and Pre-Emergent

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Enviro Green, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

A new client I picked up this week has asked me to renovate a small area (3,000) sq ft in the front of his lawn (20,000). The lawn has been maintained by a large lawn care company, and this area is completely full of annual bluegrass and chickweed, no desirable turf at all in this area.

I recommended roundup twice and then slit seeding the area.

What effect will the pre-emerge have on the slit seeding? It was applied on March 2, but we were unable to get the rate or product. I suspicion dimension or penemethalin at a mid rate in using spilt apps.

So, will the seed come up/or how much will my germination be reduced? Should we think about activated charcoal to neutralize the pre-M? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

EG

2. yes, think about activated charcoal I don't think much will come up slit seeding! Possiblity of roto tilling?

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I think the pre-m will be there for awhile, I wouldn't slice, I think the only way I would seed is to top dress with loam

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

By now, the vapor barrier is set. If it is tilled, or worked up completely, like with a dethatcher, this barrier will be broken. I would DEFinitely spray it off first though, with glyphosate. Once should do, if mixed properly. Then, a few days later, work it up. A slit seeder will work just fine, then. The key is, is how deep it gets worked with the prep.. If not, if you wanted to be safe, wait it out, and do it in the fall.

5. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

I dig, I dig.

We are defintley going to spray the area, and probably 2x, just because I want to make sure I don't miss anything. Then, we could till at that point. If we work it several inches deep, do we still need to slit seed, or would straw blankets or straw work just as well if watering is addressed by the client?

I am open to suggestions

Thanks!

EG

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, regardless if you slitseed it or not, the main thing is, is to make sure that your seed is well into the soil for soil to seed contact. If it tills finely, then you can just rake it in with a landscape rake, and it should be fine. The straw won't do you any good if the seed is just on top of the soil. Always make sure you have good contact. Also, don't forget yor starter fert.. Something like an 18-24-12 would be great. Hit it again in about 2 -3 weeeks. As for the straw, yes, you can use it to help retain moisture, but I usually do without it. As long as it's getting adequate water CONSISTENTLY.
    Oh, and definitely don't skimp on the seed, either. I don't know what type of seed you are planting, but if you are using something like a TTTF (turf type tall fescue), go with about 10# per M (thousand). If it is a Kentucky Blue, something with a smaller seed, you can perhaps go with a bit less, but it doesn't hurt to go with about the same. This makes a big difference in the end result, and NOW is the time to decide if you're doing it heavy or not. Yes, you CAN go too heavy, but it's not something that easily done. You have to go with "stupid" amounts to put too much in. What happens, is if there is too much seed, then the seedlings have to compete with each other and this creates other problems of establishment. I hope this helps, and good luck with it!

7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Runner, 10 lbs of Ky Bluegrass seed per 1,000 sqft is excessive.

8. If tilled, no reason to slice seed john, but make good seed to soil contact. I would use seed aid or pennmulch instead of straw

seed tttf at 8-10 lbs/m and k blue at 2-3 lbs/m

excessive seeding rates are bad news!

9. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

is phythium a concern with exessive tttf seed?

Im sure if it was me, my luck would be not enough crab control left to keep crab out, but just enough to kill my seed:blob2:

10. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

Pythium can definitely be an issue with excssv seeding, You'll also experience a higher than normal die-off of the seedlings as they all compete for a limited amount of nutrients. I did read a paper by a UGA researcher who was convinced of the protective properties of the "Penn Koted" seed but I haven't been able to confirm that on my own,