Seeding and Strawing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SharpEdgeLawnCare, Apr 28, 2003.

1. SharpEdgeLawnCare

SharpEdgeLawnCare LawnSite Member

I laid seed down for a customer and applied the straw ontop of it afterward. THe rain has helped and grass is now growing there. What do you all recommend afterwards to remove the straw? Rake it up or just mow over it?

2. Rake it up. Straw also robs the ground of nitrogen.

I don't use straw, never will again, you also throw out straw weed seed when you lay it.

Penn Mulch is soooo much better. And you don't "have" to remove it.

3. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

as long as the customer can keep the ground wet u dont need anything to cover the seed just lightly rake it in

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

LGF-- How does straw rob the ground of nitrogen????

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Straw will not rob the soil of N, do you know the C:N ratio on straw? If anything does rob the soil of N, its the saprophytes in the soil, not the straw itself.

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Planting some Bermuda tomorrow. Usually when the grass is ready to mow the straw is just about dust or on its way out. Heck keep watering and wait for some substantial growth then mulch it all

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I learned never to rake up the straw as you tear up ALOT of the tender seedlings. Just mow over it to mulch it up.

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Im with LGF on this one. Never use straw.....brings in way to many weeds and is ussually a mess!

9. SharpEdgeLawnCare

Thanks

I already went out and just mowed over it....over time that swath will been mowed over (2-3 more times) and you wont be able to tell straw was there. I figured raking could hamr those small grass sproutings.

Chris

10. SharpEdgeLawnCare

And what is Penn Mulch...?????