1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

seeding and weed treatments

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Jan 14, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what do u think is a safe amount of time to wait after seeding to apply weed control(trimec) i know we should try to seed in fall to lower competition with weeds, but we do have people ask about seeding in spring also.after seeding, we generally get the results we need within 45-60 days, but the plants are still imature and very thin, at this point is it safe to apply a weed control? thanx
  2. greengeezer

greengeezer LawnSite Member

My general rule of thumb has been when the youngest of the youngest grass has been mowed at least 2 to 3 times and the lawn is'nt under stress, then a herbicide should be ok. This of course applies to cool season turf. The problem with spring seeding is that once the soil is warm enough to germinate the grass, it warm enough to germinate the weeds. Also the later the grass germinates, the sooner it has to go into the stress of summer, meaning more babysitting.
  3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I would wait till the grass is mature.
  4. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Generally speaking, after their have been three mowings.