Seeding Centipede

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Sep 2, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hello All:
    How late would be too late to seed centipede in Coastal South Carolina? Could SCWEEDMAN or anyone else with experience let me know. The County dug up the wrong drainage ditch and now it's my job to seed back.
    Thanks,
    Roy

2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Ground temperature needs to be 80 degrees for centipede to germinate - should be ok . The issue is having enough time for the plants to grow and harden a bit before first frost . I would go for it .

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I planted the annual rye and centipede mix last Friday. We hardly get any Frost until maybe after Christmas. I've planted centipede lots before and it is generally up to about two leaves in three weeks and with water regularly to four leaves in a month. Rye is already up and hairy. Centipede will go dormant about Halloween and hopefully be OK. With all of the heat around, ground temps will not cool off for a long time. If it dies out--then good Ol' Sod next May.
    Thanks,
    Roy

4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck on the centipede - I haven't seeded any for quite some time , prefer to sod . The weeds are such a problem with sown grass - be sure to use pre-emergent next year .