seeding contract wording help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cklands, Feb 7, 2006.

1. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

So I am getting tired of people thinking that they can wait to pay for seeding until the seed comes up. We can not control the weather after seeding, fertilizing habits, watering habits and watering bans. So with that in mind, what would make a person believe that we can guarantee the seed to grow. So my question is how would you word it in a contract that you can not guarantee the seed to grow but not sound like you are not going to do the job correctly. I always stand by my work as I'm sure most here do, but you can't reseed for nothing an entire job because of things out of your control. Any thoughts?

2. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

My work agreement states that I will follow the States recommendations on the amount of seed required per K, fertilizer required, straw mulch applied, etc. This coupled with my experience doing seeding, sodding, sprigging jobs working in our area will provide 1/2 of the needed equation for a successful seed job. The other 1/2 depends on the customer. It is the customer's responsibility to water properly, mow properly, apply all needed nutrients and weed control products properly. Since these things are out of our control, we have no control over the outcome of the seeding project. Therefore, we can not guarantee seeding projects. If the home owner does any of these things wrong or allows Joe mow and go to do them wrong, the grass is dead. Not my fault. Customer pays when I am done with the job, always

3. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know if any of this will help but these are the thoughts that I had last year and just have not had time to put it all together yet in the form of an actual agreement.

Contractor will provide all necessary Services and Materials to complete the job(s) as outlined below. All work to be performed in a professional manner according to industry standard practices. A description of the work to be performed and the fees for our services are as outlined below:

Turf Renovation – contractor shall install seed and the necessary mulch (Straw, Penn mulch) at the recommended rate of ____/per k or as needed to be determined by the contractor.

*State method of Seedbed Preparation – Slice Seeding, Aeration/ Overseeding, Complete removal of existing turf and addition of soil ammendments……..

It is the customers responsibility to maintain adequate moisture during the germination period to ensure proper growth. It is recommended that water be applied twice during each day. One application early in the morning to maintain moisture during the day, and the Second application in the late afternoon to prevent the seed from drying out. It is not advisable to water in the evening hours due to the high probability of developing fungus.

Underground Irrigation systems are the best method of achieving the desired amount of irrigation without having to constantly monitor the site. If you do not have an underground irrigation system it is recommended that you utilize sprinkler heads connected to your garden hose along with commercially available timers to adjust the time and length of irrigation.

CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR CONTROL: The Contractor shall not be responsible for damages due to natural disaster(s) including, but not limited to, hurricanes, tornados, thunderstorms, flooding, drought, freezes, wind, etc…, or damage caused by any person(s) other than the Contractor’s employees. In the event of such circumstances or others such as improper irrigation or substantial erosion it may be necessary to make follow up visits and charge a service charge if additional services are required such as overseeding/ spot seeding to repair the affected areas.

Hope you can get something out of all this!:waving:

Jason

4. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

JPMKO- I like it, covers all the bases, if they don't understand that they deserve to have dead grass!

5. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

JPMAKO- You nailed it!!!!!!! That's is exactly what I wanted to say but just couldn't figure out how to word it.