seeding done after a tgcl treatment

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TOTALLAWN OF KY, Sep 20, 2004.

1. TOTALLAWN OF KY

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

Well crap, i slice seeded a lawn yesterday .yeah i know it was Sunday ,,anyway its a new account and after i was finished i noticed a weed was curling ,and to my despair the lawn had been treated 10 days earlier by tru green .the customer confirmed the app but cant find the invoice .i geuss its a weed and feed so will my seed germinate or what ?? i need answers not ridicule .i always get all the info 1st but they had just moved in so i assumed ;)

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

You may get some germination, certainly not what you should expect had they not treated the lawn before you got there. Maybe the customer will be willing to have the lawn reseeded in the spring and they can be told in advance to hold off other treatments.

3. TOTALLAWN OF KY

They have been canceled . Ill take over treatments. Straight starter fert now,,, weed treatments in the spring.
    i will see germination right ,,will the new ger, die??

4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

A lot depends on what chemicals were applied. If there was a pre emergent in addition to a post, your seed won't germinate. If their target was existing broadleaf weeds only, you will get some germination.

5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Germination shouldn't be a big problem, highly doubtful they are using a pre-emergent this time of year, more than likely just a feritlizer, but even if it had some broadleaf killer in it, should not affect the seed. If the weed had been sprayed ten days ago, it should have been beyond the "curling" stage.

6. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I would read the lable of many weed controls, most have a reseed date well after 10 days, more like 45-60 days.

7. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I have been burned by this in the past. VERY frustrating to seed lawns treated by ohters.

I reseeded a lawn last year that had been treated by another company. No treatments for the last 30 days -- but.......there was no germination from initial seeding. Comapny had sprayed 2-4d. ReSeeded in late October --- great results!

8. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here tgcl is putting down primarily fertilizer, since he doensn't have access to the invoice, and I know that you shouldn't assume anything, but my guess would be that there isn't any weed killer in the application.

9. lawnboyCO

lawnboyCO LawnSite Member

First you need to find out if Tgcl did a granular/spot-treat weed app or a straight liquid app, if they did a granular app you chances are much better, if they did a liquid, I highly doubt they would be putting down just fert, so chances are there was a herbicide in there and you are probably out of luck, but you never know

10. TOTALLAWN OF KY

This is a new account ,they just moved in .Lawn looks typical of a new builder seeding job .They never mentioned tgcl .They had only 2 broadleaf weeds in the newer turf .I didn't see the Curling weeds until I was half way through the power salsco slice seeding job. since the customer doesn't have the invoice , can only speculate they are using a spray 46-0-0- and 3way herb which is typical for service in our area. since the weeds are curling I'm hoping i will get some germination .