1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Seeding during Winter Months?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmc456, Dec 3, 2004.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

I have new customers asking for seed during winter months. They think you should seed during winter so spring rains will allow it to germinate. Well, some of this is true but you battle weeds all summer or part of the summer.

Anyway, what if I power seed during winter months and hold off until 1st of May to put down Pre-M to control crag grass at which time I'll kill over BLWs too.

Has anyone tried this. I have always done power seeding in the fall with great results. I have done small patches in my own yard in the spring and they seem to come in fine.

I always use Turf Type Tall Fescue.

My real question is will the grass come in nice and thick in the spring? I know there will be more weeds but the lawns are covered in weeds anyway.
  2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I dormant seed often and it works great. What I do is apply a starter fert on round one and wait as late as I possibly can to apply pre-emergent. I used Deminsion in the past but am switching to Barricade next year. You can spray the broadleafs after the new grass has grown to the point that it has recieved 3 mowings. This has turned into a good little ad on for me in the winter. I will do $3000.00 of these in couple of weeks from now.

3. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

This late in the year I've always had bad luck with fescue. It like the seed just lays there and rots. If they want it done I try to sell the winter rye and tell them I'll sow fescue in March. But the rye gives it a early start to looking good.
  4. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

You can seed pretty much any time the ground is not frozen or too wet. Power seed though so the seed is burried. It will germinate in Spring. Power seed, winterize and get ready to mow.