1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Seeding equipment sucks!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Hineline, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

After finishing the seeding of acres of turf this year I find the equipment available for renovation of existing to turf to be way to labor intensive. I am going to work with fabricators over the winter to develop a machine that does it effectively in one pass. Can't believe they haven't figured this out yet!

2. Hineline

The Ryan is a joke and the best success I had all year was multiple passes with seeding and aerifying. Most slit seeders I have used are marginal at best with less then ideal soil conditions. This shouldn't be this hard and time consuming.

3. 1966vette

1966vette LawnSite Member

Did you try the LS Turf Revitalizer? Yes, it is slow & labor intensive but it beat the Bluebird hand down.

4. Hineline

That one is the highest rated and I haven't seeded with it but it is set up well. I just think there has to be an better way with higher germ rates and one pass. The Lesco has the brush and i think that would be a huge plus as apposed to everything else that just tries to drop the seed over the alleged slit. I would also like to see a floating head that when set stays at the same cutting depth and produces the slit and fine dirt every pass. If one of the machines on the market could allow me to do 10K, even in two passes, in one to two hours without having to pre-seed (which I always do) and walk away without worry that 20-50% will not come in right I would take it.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest problem is the unnecessary obsession with soil contact"... by far the best gemination media that occurs naturally is the dead grass brown mulch that soaks and holds water better than most any soil imaginable, and a topdressing of compost will ensure maximum germination.

Another common problem is expecting from an overseed is that the seed should geminate, when there is viable plants growing everywhere in which a seed will not even bother to germinate... Much the same way that CG will not germinate until there is space for it to grow...

If seed doesn't germinate even though you believe there should be a thicker lawn, then cultural practices need to be modified to express the existing grasses in such a way that they do grow thicker...

Chances are your slit seeder was doing exactly what it was designed to do...
    Does your 20-50% germination rate continue to grow the following year?

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i like the idea of a floating head to ensure constant depth, but that will be fun to make.

i dont have any issue with regular old verticutters. they work dandy and easliy to me. but i have a slit seeder that is a bear to use. it just sits instead of slitting! it has a drive issue and gets stuck to easy. either it is too deep or not deep enough. never just right!

7. Hineline

I agree with the comment about dead grass mulching the seed in but I had a bad experience a month ago when it went up to 95 for two days and the dead grass released to much heat and basically smoked the seedlings on two lawns thqat were in the very early stage so it gets touchy sometimes. Most of my seedings are on round-up prep lawns so the overseed is going to be the new lawn and I hate having to go back and try to patch in areas. The timing of decomposition of the dead grass is very important. Too thick and or too hot can be trouble but sometimes you can't wait and have to pull the trigger. I like when the old lawn basically collapses on the new seeding but like I said if it gets real hot at the wrong time.....not good!

8. Hineline

The floating head is above my pay grade but i hope to have some good help engineering that one. I don't know though. I've never engineered a piece of equipment before.

You must have a Ryan also.

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Roundup lawns are basically new lawn so yes you have a different dynamic... My suggestion would be to place a 'plowhead' immediately behind the 'disc' with the 'seed tube' dropping the seed before the slice closes shut...
    The disc goes up and down with the terrain and the plowhead is attached to the disc housing...

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

Actually a classen slit seeder but very similar
    Posted via Mobile Device