1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Seeding-- Fertilizer rates

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by JB1, Mar 10, 2004.

1. We are looking at doing some seeding along the county roads where they have been widening them. We always put on a certain poundage of fertilizer but there specs. seems to be a lot more . How much fertilizer do you put on per acre.
  2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

For new seeding that willnot be re-fertilized later I try to put down about 10 lbs per 1000 sq ft of a balanced blend fert that gives me about 1.5 lbs of slow release nitrogen per 1000 sqft. Using the slow release fertilizer sort of insures that there is still some fertilizer available when the seed germinates. I say sort of insures because, depending on the weather, most of the nitrogen will have leached out before the seed germinates.
  3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Wow..10lbs per k with starter?

We usually apply starter at 4.5 lbs per k, then do another app 4-5 weeks later at the same rate.

I would think 10lbs at once wouldnt be good. but you are in a different area then I
  4. here's the crazy part they want 900 pounds of fertilizer per acre. Shoot your best farm ground doesn't come close to them amounts. But this guys a engineer and there never wrong, oh yea
  5. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

That seems like a lot of wasted fertilizer! Even a 10-10-10 at
    900 lb./acre equals over 2 lbs. of NPK/ 1000 sq. ft.

It would be better to go at about a 1-2-1 ratio of NPK when seeding at no more than 1 lb. P per 1000 sq. ft. Repeat this again after the seed is up and cut a couple times.