seeding & fertilizing

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by elopez121, Sep 30, 2011.

1. elopez121

elopez121 LawnSite Member

How much time should a person wait to apply "fall" fertilizer after installing a new lawn? Or should fertilizer even be applied this fall after a newly seeded lawn in the fall? Wait till spring to continue the fertilizer program?

2. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 LawnSite Senior Member

fertilize now and seed. do fertilizing and weed killers in the spring. Thats what ive learned

3. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I put down fert. with my seed.

My lawns look great.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Cool season grasses use the fall fert to get ready for winter... My last fert app is about 6 weeks b4 expected ground freeze... The 2nd to last app is 4 weeks before the irrigation is shut off, and that is the one I count on most...
    Another dry Oct doesn't do much for the last winterizer app., but the roots should continue to dig deeper, with energy from the previous app... :)

5. dutchacres

dutchacres LawnSite Senior Member

Fert is fine in the fall just make sure there is no pre emergent in it or you will waste your seed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Aerate, fert and seed in the same visit.

7. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

i was always told you want to use less nitrogen and more phosphorus when fertilizing over new seed. that comes from my nursery. dont knwo the truth behind it but it works for me. just did some the other day on my own lawn.

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

This is why you use a starter fertilzer when you seed.

9. JimmyTheGlove

JimmyTheGlove LawnSite Member

Go ahead with the Fall Fertilizer, don't wait until Spring. Guys have mentioned a "starter" fertilizer but I've had the same results with a starter and a fertilizer I use on a mature lawn. i don't think it makes that big of a difference. Just make sure its got Nitrogen.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the starter fertilizer if it is new seed or brand new grass. It needs the phos and certainly needs the higher potassium rate. A heavy nitrogen can and will cause a hindrance over the overall health of the oncoming turf. Excess top growth will not only take energy way from the immature seedlings' root establishment, but can also cause fungus of different types due to too much leaf growth going in to the winter months.