seeding fescue and bluegrass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bladewielder, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

What type of fescue is best for lawns? I've heard the tall varieties are more suited for fields, pastures, etc. Is this true? I'm asking these questions of you all because in my area a lot of the fescue I see grows in clumps and doesn't make for a nice-looking lawn, but it is a really easy-mowing/trimming grass. Would mixing bluegrass with fescue fill in between clumps or does a certain type of fescue not do this at all? P.S: I've done a lot of mowing but not very much seeding and am trying to learn the basics. P.S.S: Does doubling up on the seed prevent the clumping?

2. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Tall fescue is a bunch type (it grows in clumps) grass. It is a very drought tolerant and heat tolerant grass. It has a very coarse textured blade and is not a great selection for a showy lawn. It can be used with Kentucky Bluegrass mixtures, but it will look like a weed with the finer bladed Bluegrass.

A better choice are the fine fescues like a chewings fescue or a creeping red fescue. Fine fescues are used here in Illinois because of their superior shade tolerance. Rarely are they planted by themselves in a blend. They are usually mixed with shade tolerant Kentucky Bluegrass cultivars. Hope this helps!

Jim

3. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I meant to say: If you are dealing with shade, a better choice are the fine fescues like a chewings fescue or a creeping red fescue.

Putting more seed down will not change the way a bunch type grass grows. Tall fescue speads out by tillering (leafs growing from the outside perimeter of the bunch). Eventually tall fescue will close the gaps, but it will be bunches merged into other bunches.

Jim