seeding/grub control

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rogdogg, Apr 15, 2008.

1. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

So, here it is early spring in the northeast. I have a customer whose lawn is fairly damaged from grubs last year ( i told her then,but wouldnt let me apply grub ex). Now she wants to do something about it. I want to dethatch,clean up,bring a little soil and seed.I can see the grubbies near the surface, but is it too early for an application of grub ex to be effective? Seed then grub ex in June?:usflag: Also, will the grubs munch the new seed or growth this early on? Can you apply grub ex with seed? What would be the proper order of operations and time frame here? Thanks.

2. 2fatguyslawncare

2fatguyslawncare LawnSite Member

I am studying for my applicators license, and it goes into all of this. Check your study manuals and you will find the answer. As a "student" I would not dare to answer for fear of giving wrong information but I did read about this last night.

Leroy

3. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

hhmmmm,rigghht,ok.....welll,yea,still open to actual advice,thanks.

4. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

I've noticed grubs already also, the best time to get them is when they are near the surface, so the time is right. I wouldnt be afraid to seed at the same time since the ai to kill the grubs is not for a weed and shouldnt prevent germination. Do your thing and lay grub ex when you seed, check again in June and reapply if needed, but I think they can be controlled with a early app.

5. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

Right, I mean,thats what I would like to do.Maybe even an aeration as well? I guess it's justa quick spring overseed, so I'll tell the customer we'd seed again in Fall anyhow. Anybody else know if seed and grub ex are a good or bad combination? Thanks.:drinkup:

6. 2fatguyslawncare

2fatguyslawncare LawnSite Member

Rogdogg... sorry was not trying to be a smart alek or anything. I would have been wrong too. The way I read it was grub-ex would not be effective until the larvae stage. But, I do not have my license yet and a lot to learn. Sorry if I came off as a jerk... coming off as an idiot, well... not much I can do there. :drinkup:

Our ground is still frozen in some areas in Maine, so I wonder if the manual is that specific?

7. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

No worries, I'm not a fan of speaking on things or doing things one isn't sure of either,which is why I'm here asking,hahaa. I'll get to tyhe bottom of it by monday,maybe a little weekend homework trip to lesco. Anyone else care to weigh in on this? thanks.

8. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

i'm a little behind so I haven't done this jod yet,so, I'm going for dethatch,rake up,grub ex a little new soil,then seed in a week or 2. any objections? hahaa,advice,thanks.:drinkup::usflag:

9. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Use Dylox when you seed. It works faster than Grub-Ex. Grub-Ex works better on recently emerged larvae. Apply the Grub-Ex in late June. Grub-Ex needs several weeks to move through the soil and into turf root zone.It is harder to control grubs in spring because they are much larger than in late summer.

10. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

cool,done deal,thanks!