Seeding In New Jersey

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ant, Oct 23, 2005.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i know it's late but i am still aerating and seeding.

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I still have a couple left to do but its not looking good. Frost advisory tonight then another big rain storm coming.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: people keep callin im still seedin, its been a pretty warm fall so go for it. tony

4. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I'm not taking on anymore overseeding. Just trying to finish what I have. I did 41k today. I know a lot of folks are still doing it and not happy about it. I know I've lost more than enough sleep about it. I want to wrap it up this week.

I expect to be doing a lot more this spring. A lot of people are holding off till then to fix the damage done this past summer.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly what we are doing.

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Did two today and have one more tomorrow, hopfully wont get anymore calls for it this fall. But if we do I probablly will go ahead and do them.

7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

how do you balence the spring seeding, and pre emergent applications? i got killed this year by crabgrass, and i'm planning do some heavy applications in the spring, but at the same time, i need to do alot of seeding.

do you apply ferts.... then just seed the "spots" with seed, peat, etc.

Clinton NJ, i don't think you're that far from me... so we should be on a similar approach.

8. rodfather

Places I have to do Adam have absolutely no grass left thanks to the drought (not even crabgrass). I am going in and starting from scratch with aerating heavily and then overseeding with probably upwards of 8 or 9 lbs of seed per K of turf area.

Crabgrass on these props I will deal with at a later date. Even crabgrass would look better than they look now...

9. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's the same way here i cant believe some of the lawns.

10. rodfather

Nope, I am due west of you by about 50 minutes just off Rte 78. BTW, my mom's very large family is from Staten Island.