Seeding in the middle of june in NY

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by suzook, Jun 25, 2014.

1. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

So I am doing a little experiment. I know seeding in summer is a big NONO, but i just had an inground pool finished in my yard. I decided to grade and seed anyway. Put down some starter fert with tupersan, rye/blue mix seed. Well 4 days later, I have a few sprouts which undoubtedly is the rye. One major advantage of seeding is summer, is quickness of germination. My only concern is the heat of the summer. I will keep you guys posted.
  2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

So when you say putting seed down in June is a no no. Then you are saying it is better for weeds to fill in that area.

3. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

The Tupersan should buy you 4-6 weeks protection against competition from crabgrass. I agree it's not a great time to seed but sometimes there is not a good choice. It is easier now than it used to be. In addition to Tupersan (man, that is hard to find here anymore) we have post emergents for crab and Tenacity, which provides pre and post control. You'll still have to contend with long days and warm nighttime temperatures but it sounds like you are off to a good start. I'd love to see so,e pictures as it progresses.

I grew in a baseball field that had been nearly 100% crabgrass using Tupersan once and had very good results.
  4. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

Have you ever used tupersan?? My only other choice was let it fill in with weeds anyway, or sod, which was out of my budget.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Wise to add the Tupersan (siduron) to protect from crabgrass. I have been watching a couple new lawns in my neighborhood. Mostly seeded about late May. It is clear the crabgrass is going to be outrageous. There is a good chance they will be forced to reseed in the fall and try to reseed over the top of heavy crabgrass. I told them to watch for some grass seed on sale. But maybe Ortho weed and crab will rescue them--maybe.

A second lawn was hired--had 2 inches of topsoil added plus straw (seeded about June first)--waiting to see what will happen. Homeowner raked off the straw in the front yard--back yard not yet.
  6. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

I am def expecting some crabgrass, but will apply more tupersan in 4 weeks to keep it at bay (hopefully). It just depends on how hot July will be. Like I stated, my only other option was let the weeds go wild and redo in the fall. Im thinking I can get a half decent lawn, then repair in fall.
  7. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

Here are some pics

8. cotyledon

cotyledon LawnSite Senior Member

Sod that thang
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

I like a challenge! LOL.
  10. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Im sure ul do fine if you can keep ur seedlings well hydrated, looks like a small enough area that u can hand pull weeds as they emerge gl
    Posted via Mobile Device