Seeding in the middle of june in NY

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by suzook, Jun 25, 2014.

1. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Btw thats some good looking paver work
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

3. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

Im the pool guy! And yea, phosphates are an issue. Im very careful with application, and pavers are sloped into grass. We had storms go through last night, and awoke to green fuzz as I call it every where. Seedlings are really taking off!

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I seeded one first of june and No crab grass Its all Fescue lawn thick lawn The customer was mowing in 2 weeks
    I seeded one last week
    I started one yesterday
    I never had much problem with crabgrass on new lawns and I don't treat for it either

5. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Alabama

Crabgrass is brutal and everywhere around here lol

6. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

Its all about the heat! We are definitely cooler up here, so we have a little more leeway on the crabgrass. If I got a week of 90+ temps all this week, i would be screwed!:cry: Forecast looks good for me the next 2 weeks.

7. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Alabama

It stays those temps here most of the time and hotter even though we get rain all the time, fixing to head out now sure I will be cutting in rain off and on today and tomorrow. Last week was dry and hot, this weeks been hot and rainy next will be dry and hot indexes in upper 100's I'm sure yay here comes full southern summer going to be worse than last year we can already tell and it was worst in a while.

8. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

Well after checking on the area, the heavy storms washed alot of the seed into big patches. What a fail. Yup...should have just gone sod. I havent given up yet. I will wait it out a few day and hope for the best.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Another challenge: summer heat pushes the soil temp too high and seed wont germinate.

10. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

Agreed, my 2 week outlook looked promising though. As of today, its looking decent. Only day 7, and alot of areas are sprouting. I do have alot of bare areas though. Wondering if its where my seed washed away, or its just taking a few more days. I will post pics after the weekend.