Seeding in the spring

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigEd, Mar 9, 2001.

1. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I know that almost everyone aerates and overseeds in the fall,but this new customer really needs and wants is yard reseeded as soon as the weather breaks.I would seed with a 50/50 mix of rye and kentucky.What I want to know is if I aerate the yard, put down starter fertilizer and seed how well would it turn out in the spring??

I could rent a slice seeder to do it with is it okay to slice seed in the spring?

How would you guys handle this?

2. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

well, i'am down here in tn. but i agree with you that ,the
    fall is the Best time.Do they hay a irragation sys. in place?If so that is good but if not best make sure they ar willing to keep it watered (or you can for a small price)I don't like to to that kinda stuff in the spring but i will ....with no guarntee.once it gets started i usually come back with a 24-5-11. Hit it with that an it will look good provided they don't have tons of weeds.You can alway go in with a dose of 3-way easter .just check with you local lesco dealer if you have one???i may be wrong but i'am not in you area ....

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

BIG Ed

Its not that the seeds wont germinate, but that during the springtime we are also fertilizing the weeds at this time by performing this service now.

When we seed a lawn in the fall we have virtually no weeed competition and the end results are that much better.

If your client is that adiment about you seeding it in the spring I would do so. I would use a higher rate(8lbs) of seed per m/sf.

Make sure that they give it 30 minutes of water up to 3 times a day until they see the sprouts begin to shoot.

I hope this helps.
    Kris

4. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

if you seed in the fall ...just tell him what YOU would do to keep the winter weeds down this time of year?dimsion,3way ester,momentum?what do you guys use up there?

5. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Hey kutnkru would it be better to rent the slice seeder?
    What do you guys top dress with if you have to do it in the spring??

6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would still go with the aerator and then disperse the seed/fert/lime. I think that because it is spring that the areation will prove to be more beneficial than if you were to slice-seed it. This way you will be relieveing the compaction factor, and seeding the areas at the same time - Kind of like two birds with one stone!

If you have any more in depth questions send me an e-mail and I will answer all you have upon receipt :)
    kutnkru@aol.com

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

7. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Check out http://www.agry.purdue.edu it will give you all the suggestions for spring seeding. Find suggestions under the turf club link. eggy