1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Seeding large areas, what spreaders and seed?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ramairfreak98ss, May 15, 2006.

  1. Ramairfreak98ss

    Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,210

    I have two jobs to seed a couple acres each, what type of seeders to you guys use within reason? ive seen overseeders that are 6k PTO units for tractors down to pull behinds or walk behinds for $30 lol.

    Im looking at something SOMEWHAT more than a residential unit like lowes sells a JD tow behind broadcast spreader model lpbst-35jd. It carries 175lb worth of seed, ive yet to see this in person, but wanted to know your thoughts.

    Should this be sufficient? If i bought seed from lowes or home depot in bulk, is scotts or similar brands ok or just over priced? im going to try agway for bluk seed from now on too.
     
  2. Splicer

    Splicer LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 992

    Buy the BEST seed you can if you want results to be proud of...It was suggested to me to use LESCO seed/ferts and I won't go back to the cheapest I can find. To date I am thrilled with the results obtained from using the LESCO brand...
     
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

    Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,210

    are there expensive brands like scotts that are garbage and cheap brands that are good? i just want good lol
     
  4. Mike33

    Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,649

    Are you installing new lawn or overeeding? Buy the best i hydro-seed everything my supplier isnt far from you. Lofts seed in Laurel, Md. I use Athletic field mix its a 80-20 blend no inert matter, 0 weed ingredients. When you buy the cheap stuff you get a lot of weed matter, etc., Its 80% tall fescue, rebel family, remaining 20% is blue grass and rye. Its a nice fine blade dark green texture. And since i buy 500 lb. at a time it is only $1.15 per pound and free shipping. Lowes sells it in a fancy bag for 48.00 a 25 lb. bag. The burlap for that price is fine with me.
    mike
     

Share This Page