seeding lawns/warranty

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Apr 11, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

what type of warranty do you give a new cust.on seeding. <p>and how about sprinkler line damage,cable lines,missed/unmarked sprinkler head damage.<p>sprinkler heads that border property lines that are the next doors sprinkler.<p>do you make them sign a contract. <p>how many of you require a dep.<p>how about a &quot;stop application request&quot; for lawn cust. that have outher application companys.<br> thanks anthony

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

There are way too many variables to warranty that someone will have success with seeding work. I guarantee nothing except that I will do a great job. As for lines/sprinkler heads. I have aerated over 350 lawns over the past 2 years and have had no problems. I don't know if I'm just that good or if its dumb luck (I'm guessing dumb luck). Always make your customer mark the heads before you get there. You will waste a ton of time if you have to ring the doorbell and tell Mrs. Smith to turn on the sprinklers so you can mark them. I tell customers I will be there on a certain day and to have the heads marked, if I drive there and they are not marked their lawn is not aerated. <br>As for your other questions, I make no one sign a contract unless it is a commercial job. It just seems companies like to have lots of extra papers with signatures on it. I have never required a deposit on any work I do. If cash flow is a problem for you then you need to find another career because there are times when you will need to outlay $3000 for seed and or fertilizer and you will not be paid for 30 days. I don't do anything with a stop app. Thats the customers responsibility. But most customers don't realize the harm of putting down twice the fert. that is recommended.

3. ant

any more ?

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

We don't do maintenance, but we do install seeded and sodded lawns. I never guarantee seed. I explain that the biggest variable in the success of the job is the one that's out of my hands - watering. Therefore, I'll leave you a small bag of seed for any bare spots, but when I leave the site, that's it.<p>Customers ALWAYS sign a contract. I don't understand why you wouldn't. Hard to prove you had a contract when it doesn't exist on paper. Also, it ensures both parties know what is expected.<p>I always require 20% down at contract acceptance, 50% on the start date, 30% billed at the end, net 30. And 1.5% interest for every month overdue on final payment.<p>There aren't enough irrigation systems here to put a clause in the contract about fixing them. But don't overextend your responsibilities in the contract language.

5. Alan

Alan Member

With my hydroseeding I will guarantee germination but not establishment of turf. I figure there is enough moisture in the mulch to sprout seed, if they get lazy about watering that's their problem.<p>Most of my seeding is for contractors, and billed on open account, net 15 days. If I'm doing a renovation I get 50% when I start the job with the balance due when green shows. And I DO get a signed agreement on renovations. My new seeding for contractors is usually a matter of them calling to let me know when they will be doing topsoil, I show up the next day, fine grade and seed and bill them.

6. ant

stonehenge:could you e-mail or fax me a sample copy of your seeding contracts that you use <br>before you start a seed job<br>thanks anthony

7. ant

to a certain point we warranted if they stayed with up.i found out that a little seed here and there a few weeks after kept them happy.
    ant

8. ant

up

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Ant,

I don't know if you saw this post but there are some ideas you may want to consider in your seed warranty.

10. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Ant,

It's been almost 2 years, have you gotten an answer yet?:eek:

Is anyone extending a warranty on seed jobs? It seems so risky w/ all that could not happen.

It seems like a good opportunity to up sell a customer something they may need: Aeration, soil additives, fertilizer, pruning, an irrigation system, drainage/washout solutions. They obviously want grass, but may not be aware of other factors.

"Mr. x, it seems you have a slight erosion problem here. Before wasting more seed, we recommend tilling, topsoil, compost and a French drain".....whatever, but look for reasons the seed may not develop or last.

Instead of just signing off, try to improve an area and sell your work.

My.02