Seeding my lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jason r., Mar 14, 2003.

1. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Other than overseeding warm season grasses w/ rye, I've never seeded in a new lawn. Will be doing my own back yard to start and than my parents yard soon after to gain some experience. Hopefully, I can start offering this service to my customers when I feel a bit more confident in the process.
    Info on my yard;
    S.E. Louisiana, flat, mostly sun, no grass/weeds (just been graded), 10k w/ a few scattered trees.
    Seed I plan to use;
    Mix of Carpetgrass and Centipede. Will overseed w/ Rye for winter color in the fall.
    Steps I plan to follow;
    1. soil test
    2. amend soil if needed
    3. core aerate (twice in alterneting pattern)
    4. broadcast seed
    5. broadcast starter fert.
    6. hand rake w/ gravel rake to make decent soil to seed contact and to break up cores
    7. water, water, water
    Does this sound like a good plan? Is there anything you'd do different?

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

One thing, you forgot about the peat moss or straw. This past fall my boss and I spread over 20 yards of topsoil and about 10 yards of peat moss to patch some areas at his apartments and the grass has turned out beautiful. Just make sure you water enough. Water twuce a day, in the morning and at night. They say it's better to water in the morning because if you water at nght you can cause disease and mushrooms can grow. I'd say you're on the right track obviously. Good luck

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If seeding warm season grasses in the heat you will usually get a pretty quick germination.

4. jason r.

Even though the yard is flat, I should still spread straw over the seeded area? If so, how many bales of straw would it take to cover 10k?

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If its pretty flat I would not straw it. You sometimes get a lot more weeds from the straw. Straw is great if you have an irrigation situation. But, you will be watering this one yourself. I can give you watering instructions that I give all my customers. I have a document I made for seeding instructions. Good for warm and cool season grasses.

6. jason r.

Thanks 65 hoss that would be great if you could email it to me. The guy at the feed and seed store told me to wait until late April or early May to do it so the soil temp. is warmer for better germination.

7. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

A rule of thumb here in the midwest is April 15 for seeding, but your a little further south so I would expect your soil temps to be warmer faster. I use a regular field harrow befor seeding ad after broadcasting, saves the aeration and raking steps. Bluegrass and rye and fesques only need be covered with about 1/8 to 1/4" of soil. Have had really good luck.

thanks
    Rick

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You are correct when dealing with cool season grasses. But he is using warm season grasses. The hotter the faster the germination will take place. He wants to be seeding from May to August with warm season grasses. With any seed your looking for seed/soil contact.

9. jason r.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

65 Hoss, I clicked on your WWW. Nice website, really like the March FPOTM.

10. jason r.

It looks like seeding my lawn isn't going to pan out. Over the last month I've been checking the amount of sunlight the yard was getting and it's less than 5 hours a day. Like I said before, we had many trees removed. Between my neighbors' trees and few we still have the sun is just not getting down to the soil. I estimated that it would take alot of $ to take out the rest of the trees and either seed or sod. So me and the wife decided to invest that $ into my biz and just mulch the back yard in question. It should work out good, I'll have 10k sq. ft. to dump all the leaves from leaf season and I can continue to charge dump fees. Now I need to get a dump beb for my p/u to make it a whole lot easier.:D Thanks very much for the advice.