Seeding near Pine trees

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CK82, Jul 15, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I have a customer who has had issues with getting grass to grow near a 20+ yr. old pine tree. Is there anything I can do to get seed to grow in these areas?

Chris

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Scratch up the surface a bit add some compost and scratch it up some more, then seed. You want to only scratch the surface because tilling is to rough on the tree and scratching up the little surface roots will give your grass a chance.

Pine is one of those trees that sends out a poison to keep other roots from growing, if I am not mistaken. A few inches of compost provides a buffer for the competing roots and will not have adverse affects on the tree, even if put on too thick.

How high are the bottom branches and how close in does he want to go?

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You are going to find that the soil is very acidic in that area. Do a test, and apply lime as needed. DON'T guess it....do the test, and you will be doing yourself a favor. Remember, on the north side of these pines, you are not going to grow grass very well if these trees are dense.

4. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Where would I find a simple test kit? I think adding lime would be a continuous process, because the added compost/soil as mentioned above would overtime become acidic as well from the pine.