seeding new lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jrlandscaping781, May 31, 2007.

1. jrlandscaping781

jrlandscaping781 LawnSite Member

What's your method for seeding new lawns? I harley rake, fertilize with 15-30-15, broadcast the seed and roll. I've been debating with myself about the use of straw. The straw I know will help with maintaining moisture, but it can also create more weeds and will tend to sometimes blow around in high wind areas. (Plus I hate spreading it!) Do you guys always use straw or some type of organic cover? I did an acre job last fall without straw an it came it awesome looking. I did another job this spring without straw and it is taking a long time to germinate. Maybe the straw would of helped since it has been dry and we had a couple late cold days.

2. CoupesCuts

CoupesCuts LawnSite Member

I think youve had good luck in the fall because of the weather. I have had the same experience. In the spring the soil can dry out so fast, you need a cover. As for the weed seed, try using shredded straw. The baled hay/straw is full of garbage. The bagged stuff is nicer to spread and clean. I have found it produces no weeds.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had much better luck growing grass the times I've used straw.

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you didnt use straw or some kind of mulch you lucked out. I hydro-seed and dont use straw but you need some kind of mulch for insulation and protection. The proper mulching is just important as proper seed and fertlizer application.
    mike

5. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

i just redid a section of lawn at my house, it was about a 15x15 section, i tilled up the area, smoothed it out and used a broadcast spreader for the seeds, after that i covered the seeds with about a 1/4 inch of humus, and within 3 days the seeds started spouting, this was with bluegrass seed. has anyone seen bluegrass start germinating so fast.

6. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

theres a product from lebanon called penn mulch, google it. its tiny pellets with starter fert. no weed seeds, i use it all the time, a bit pricey. if u r doing such large jobs why havent u invested in a hydroseeder ?

7. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

2nd that penn mulch. has worked well for me, among things is it helps the grass seed germinate , as to also not having to mess around will straw bales, . :waving: