Seeding over existing lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Ford BOSS 12, May 16, 2007.

1. Ford BOSS 12

Ford BOSS 12 LawnSite Member

I have a residential customer who has a 20,000 square foot yard and needs to be reseeded. The problem is that the existing grass is patchy and is made of mostly weeds. Also a 5,000 square foot portion of it needs to be completely seeded. The topsoil left when the house was built was put on thin and there isn't alot for the grass to grow in. I was just wondering what you guys would do. Would you just spread about an 1 inch of new topsoil over the existing lawn and 2 inches over the completely bare spot or what. I was also wondering what you guys would charge. I am also going to be renting a skid steer to move the dirt around the property with a 2 or 3 man crew.

Topsoil(topdressingt)- $30 a yard plus delivery
    Seed- $95 for a 50lb bag that covers 7000 sq. ft.
    Straw is- $4.50 a bale
    Skid steer- $175 a day

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If the 5000 sq.ft. area with little or no topsoil is sandy, it may be a good idea to till in your clay based ammendments. If it is heavy enough just till in a few yards of compost. 2 inches of root zone will be an eternal problem for the client.
  3. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

It seems that your prices are low. $175/day for a skidsteer. Isn't that the price it cost you to rent it? A client always pays more than what it cost to rent. Let's say $80-$120/hr. Don't forget you need to pay the operator, the diesel and the transport of the machine.

Landscaping is usually a very good profit business. Don't leave money on the table.