Seeding over stumps that have been grinded.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jastro324, Sep 24, 2013.

1. jastro324

jastro324 LawnSite Member

Okay so I have been reading a lot but could not find exactly what I was looking for. I got a call 2 days ago. He guy has about ten trees that were removed and the stumps were grinned out. there were some ash, maple, and oak trees I believe He wants to put grass seed where all the wood chips are. I have never done this and i have a few questions. If i were to remove the wood chips how deep should i go with top soil, and what fertilizer should be used to ensure that the seed comes in nice. Thank you in advance for the help.

2. Mike A

Mike A LawnSite Member

You will want to dig out at least 4-5 inches of the wood chips and add topsoil. The problem with not removing all of the wood chips is that in a couple of years those areas will settle a few inches due to the chips bio degrading.
    For the seed, use a fertilizer high in phosphorus as this will help with root development. Say a 16-2412.
    Good luck!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Mike A

Mike A LawnSite Member

I meant 16-24-12. And u may want to dig out at least 6-7 inches....
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jastro324

Okay that is what I will go with then for the depth about 6 inches
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jastro324

Posted via Mobile Device

6. jastro324

What would be the proper way to apply the fertilizer. should I till it in?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

We do it a lot and 3-4 inches is adequate, of course 6" is better... fertilizer does not help seed come in better... soil contact and moisture do that... the new roots will want to go deep so if you're putting fertilizer in at seeding time then I would think,, working it in would entice the roots to follow their natural direction... Remember what make thatch grow... :)