Seeding, please help!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mike75, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Mike75

Mike75 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I am in Oklahoma, which has extreme temperatures throughout the year. The summer will be 95 degrees on average and very humid. I have a bermuda lawn that is very thin and has very shady spots around the trees, house and flowerbeds(bermuda will not grow in the shade). I want to seed the lawn, or at least the shady areas in order to have lush grass throughout the entire lawn. What is my best option? I have looked at many fescues, ryegrasses, and blends, please help!
  2. Mike75

Mike75 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Seriously, none of you know? I need some help guys.
  3. TurfCo  LLC

TurfCo LLC LawnSite Member

The best cool season grass for your area would be a tall fescue blend. It has a better tolerance for the hot temps, and can make it in the shade. If the areas are too shady, you might try a creeping red fescue, but I'm not sure how well they tolerate the heat. Check out to research turf cultivars.
  4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

How about Zoysia? Does decent in the shade and can handle the heat and humidity, doesnt grow very fast and is not a water hog like fescue.
  5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, I would suggest that you check with your local University Turfgrass Extension Agents and see what they suggest. Just off the cuff with the weather you have I would try a Turf Type Fescue as they do well in hot dry season. Extension agent can get you the good info for your area.