Seeding Rates (lbs/1000sq.ft.)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gene $immons, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

How many pounds Fescue seed to apply over 1000 sq ft.

I think I read 5 or 6 lbs somewhere before???

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Fine fescue or turf type tall fescue? Both are generally listed at 6#/K, but TTTF does better at 10-12# rate. Higher population of TTTF gives finer blades.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I usually apply 7lbs/1000 using turf type tall fescue blend.

5. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

I've read just the opposite (and observed same). Higher seed rates result in stunted grass plants (and resulting finer blades) BUT also results in root crowding and roots too close to the surface fighting for water and oxygen. Add some environmental stresses and die back is much greater resulting in the dreaded TTTF "clumping" of surviving turf. In short, overrate seeding is responsible for TTTF clumping!
    Latest research says 6-8lbs and Purdue is playing with 5lbs on some test plots!

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Every one here missed the important part, How is it beeing put down? Broadcast seeding? Drill seeding? hydro seeding? Each method has it's own rate for installation.

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like Jim ought to hone up on current research. It was from Purdue that I got the 10-12# recommendations, but that was probably 7-8 years ago. And since I never fell in love with TTTF, I never use it, so I guess I shouldn't get so detailed about it. Thanks, Mike, for the correction.

8. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

I just love TTTF. Use it whenever I can. WHat don't you like?