Seeding rates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Bradbury, May 1, 2003.

1. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

There seems to be a huge variation in recommendations of the amount to use when seeding new areas. Especially turf type tall fescues, what I'll use as an example.
    It is "common" here (zone 5) to use/recommend 10lbs 1000. Some of the bags even recommend that rate. At the same time universities recommend 6-8 lbs per 1000. Some of Purdues research this year is with 5.5 lbs per 1000! Thats some huge range there!
    Does this happen because of a "normal" tendancy to put a little extra down just to make sure it comes in nice and thick? Obviously the seed companies are more than happy to have you use as much product as possible. ;)
    My own observation (limited) is that it does much better at lighter seed rates. My theory is that when planted too heavily, the plants are stunted resulting in comparable stunted root development. Plant then dies off more easily in adverse conditions, resulting in "clumpy" masses of turf.
    I wonder too if the heavier than "needed"(?) rates of bluegrass/rye don't result from the many reseeds done to customers that WON'T follow through on 30 days of watering. Throw a couple extra lbs of 60/40 down and you're getting enough RYE to "carry" the lawn (make the customer happy).???
    Does this make sense? What do you think? I'm specializing in turf work, grading, installs, renovations so getting my seeding down TIGHT is a priority. Thanks for you help.:blob2:

2. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member