seeding steep banks

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rmland, Aug 27, 2006.

1. rmland

rmland LawnSite Member

I got a call to look at a new home site. Cut and fill grading job with very steep banks all around big house pad (31000 sq. ft. banks only). There is no way to get a spreader on that. I tried to imagine spreading hundreds of pound of lime, fert. and seed with a chest held crank spreader, would the pellets stay put? I think many would roll down. Then spreading straw on all that!!!
    I called a hydro-seed outfit quoted $1700.00 over the phone. Would any of you have attempted this, if so how
  2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Sub contract the hydroseed if you don't have the equipment yourself or sod. I had a customer with a steep slope also, nearest hydroseed guy was about 80 miles away, very expensive. Around here not many guys hydroseed because of the cost of equipment vs. the volume of business. Customer ended up going with sod. This was an expensive proposition like hydroseeding but he did get an instant lawn. We have had nice rainfall and he has watered it well, it looks good, erosion worries controlled right away, etc. All in all for a severe slope IMO sodding is the way to go.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Just sub out the hydro seeding-- Your price should be almost the same as eveyone else because netting-blankets etc cost more and are not as effective unless install peoperly. OR as Green Pro said sell them on the merits of sod. , course you have to take the time and pin that. Only 2 options I know of and the price will be the same for everyone unless you own the seeder or sod farm