Seeding: too late?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by big_country, May 25, 2006.

1. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

I have a few more lawn installations to do and have had a few calls for other seeding this week. Is it to late to seed? In the last two days it has really got warm here (high 80's), I'm afraid it's going to be another hot summer. Should I go ahead or just try to heavily recommend doing the work in the fall. By the way I'm in western Kentucky,thanks.
    Justin

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I would go ahead and do it. Make sure they are aware that it will take a lot of water to keep it alive though. Plan on doing some overseeding in the fall though because not all of it will come up unless in an ideal watering setup.

3. big_country

I thought with proper watering it would be fine, just wanted someone else's opinion. Should I lay off the fertilizer?
    Justin

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

put the fertilizer down right after germination. It will really make it pop. The sun may cause the fertilizer to burn the new seed if it gets too hot. I usually wait until I start to see some grass then apply at the given rate.

5. big_country

Thanks car...anybody else?

6. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me, I wouldn't consider it...too late. If you do decide to go ahead with it, be sure to use some penn mulch and try lesco's 12-24-14 starter fert...good stuff!