Seeding With Clover Mix

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by walker45, Sep 20, 2013.

1. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Clover used to be widely incorporated in lawn seed. If the home owner has no problem with it I'd be happy to plant some. Disclaimer, I have clover in my own lawn. Never seen it have trouble with the heat around here, looks bad if it dries out, but recovers fine if watered.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You want something that is heat tolerant and spreads and fills in? Have you looked into thermal blue bluegrass? It is a cross between kentucky bluegrass and texas bluegrass. It looks like and spreads like kentucky bluegrass yet it has the heat tolerance of texas bluegrass.

This is what I use on my own lawn and any customers that request a premium seed.

[​IMG]

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Clover is a lot tougher than the turfgrasses and some people use it in their lawns, becuz it doesn't bother them... It is all going to come down to personal feelings and opinions... no right or wrong answer... :)

4. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

If I go on that ride I'm going all the way. Someone let me know when we have herbicides that take out all grasses and other broadleaf weeds but leave clover.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I think most people grow both clover and grass together... Is that not true???